Thursday, 11 July 2024

Sintra Magic

Monday 24 June 2024

As most attractions close on a Monday in Lisbon, it made sense to head to Sintra today.  We took a 40 minute train journey north and ascended into low cloud.

Our first port of call was the Moorish Castle.  You can either get a bus up to it or, do as we did, take a magical walk up through tropical woods.  The paths twisted and turned through verdant scenes and it was a delight.  Reminded me of Petite Suisse, Luxembourg.
It was nippy on top at the Fort.  A mighty construction and would have been a more amazing experience if we’d had some views!  But the cloud stayed low.  It was still fascinating to wander around.
We headed back down and to visit Quinta de Regileria. Hey surveyors!
Quinta de Regileria had looked weird and quirky online and it certainly was.
I wasn’t feeling well by this stage (felt like a cold was brewing) but managed to drift around this amazing place.  The owners had built a few grottos into hills.
And this incredible Poço Interfeito - a downward spiral into the grottos. Such fun! Lots of weird and wonderful things to see.  
And at the bottom of the spiral, a waterfall and more grottos.
I was feeling really nauseous by now.  We caught the next train back to Lisbon and I unceremoniously threw up in a dry bag on the journey (told you I was feeling ill).  We also then found out that the dry bag wasn't that waterproof after all...

Once back in Lisbon I couldn’t contemplate the metro so we walked - very very slowly - stopping once whilst I threw up into a Lisbon street gutter.  Such class.  Back at the hotel I crashed into bed, threw up a couple more times, then slept.  And that was my body starting to catch up on 2024.

No comments:

Post a Comment