Sunday 05 July 2026
We celebrated Caitlin's 30th this Sunday with a braai - I much prefer the South African word for it. Caitlin and Riona arrived fresh from camping, Mark trained down from Cardiff and Rog drove up the B3181. JC and I had purchased a bbq for the occasion and Rog christened it with its first usage.
I made the birthday pavlova, and Riona and I discovered that sparkly candles light more easily if they have an 'end', so the 3 lit and burnt down before we'd even got the 0 up and running! Honoured that Caitlin chose to spend her special day with the old parents ;-)
Caitlin had lots of presents, but the garden sheep was too heavy to carry back this time, so it's temporarily keeping penguin company in the fern corner. They are having a ball.
I waved everyone off, saying to Riona "not sure when I'll see you next, but I'm not coming to Cardiff as I've been lots this year".
Monday 06 July 2026
15 hours later I was on the phone to Riona asking if I could stay the night. It turned out that one of my colleagues was unexpectedly unable to attend an event in Cardiff on the Tuesday, so I gallantly offered to attend. I drove home from the office after lunch, packed and took the train up to Cardiff, spending a lovely evening chez Riona and Mark munching melon and wedding planning.
Tuesday 07 July 2026
I attended a coastal group meeting in the morning, then enjoyed a tour of the Cardiff Barrage in the afternoon. I hadn't realised the lagoon was freshwater and that the scheme had to be approved by an Act of Parliament, such was the opposition to it. Environmentally, it was moving from a tidal bay to a freshwater lagoon, a massive switch. There were also complaints from marine traffic about having to use locks rather than coming and going as they pleased (which they never actually did as they could only navigate a few hours either side of high tide, but anyway...).
Aesthetically, Senedd Cymru, the Welsh Parliament, is more appealing with permanent water in front, rather than a mud frontage at low tide. And the redevelopment of the frontage has bought much business/tourism to the area: whether this is a good thing depends on your view on commercial regeneration. I learnt that the minimum water level is 4 m above Ordnance Datum and when there is a large storm, bringing vast volumes of run off down the Rivers Taff and Ely, the tide gates are locked preventing the marine tide from exacerbating the water levels.
I also discovered that the slipway/slope in front of the concert hall is a flood plain, and designed to be flooded/store water in extreme weather events. Sorry, no photo, so probably only those who've been to Cardiff Bay know what I'm talking about.
It was very hot but super geeky stroll, crocodile included.
Such a lovely weekend, with a little cherry on the cake of 22 hours in Cardiff.








No comments:
Post a Comment