Thursday, 17 September 2026

Horsey horsey

Thursday 20 August 2026

We went horse riding today.  I think I had a ridden a horse for about 30 minutes as a kid but that was it. JC had more saddle time under his belt but not oodles.  Fortunately there were some nice docile horses that they plonked us on, with the guides taking the horses which needed more controlling. Timur and Jusup are very at home on a horse: Jusup rode along with his shades looking like a cool dude, whereas Timur became a slightly crazy horse guy, occasionally galloping his horse across the grass just because he could.

After a practice around the yard where we learnt to start, stop and turn the horses we set off.
I named my horse Dave.  JC called his Speedy, because it wasn’t.
It was a lovely plod up the valley.  The sun shone, the horses and riders behaved, and all was good.  JC perfected the art of photography from the saddle.
We stopped for another ‘picnic in the nature’ which the guys set up a treat, we even had a picnic table.  Sod's law it started to rain, but it wasn't too heavy.  We had a kettle with us so had a warm brew.  This is how picnics should be - as long as you have a horse to carry everything up for you.
Lunch for the horses too.
We continued up the valley which was so beautiful.  
By 1545 I was weary, the wind was picking up and I suggested we head back.  We were 30 minutes from a waterfall but I didn’t want to continue heading further in the wrong direction.  As we discussed returning, the rain started.  It turned heavy enough that JC and I whipped out our waterproof trousers.
We plodded back dripping.  After an hour it eased and we started to dry out - sitting astride a warm horse helped.  Dave’s homing instinct was strong and I had to stop him often to let JC and Speedy catch up.  Dave would stop for about 10 seconds and then start off again.  
We dried out overnight except our trainers which were sodden.  Fortunately it's a walking boot day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment