Sunday, 20 September 2026

Kol Ukok - walk in the meadows

Saturday 22 August 2026 

Waking up in a yurt, watching the sun peak through the cracks in the latticed circular roof, is a wonderful way to wake.
We had breakfast with the French again. Breakfasts tend to consist of naan, eggs in some form, home made jam, honey and tea. I have bought packets of rice cakes from the UK so am chomping my way through those in lieu of naan.  Sometimes coffee appears which gets JC and I excited. 

It was a blustery, cold start but the sky was relatively clear.  JC launched his drone and had a little fly around the north end of the lake.  Our yurt is the far left one of the row of four at the top of the picture.  
We had a morning walk, just the two of us, which made a pleasant change.  We didn’t attempt anything adventurous, but traversed the west side of the lake again and explored the lower pastures. 

I am enjoying the alpine flora even though I don't know what I'm looking at most of the time.  This is white clover but unsure what these pretty mauve flowers with four petals are.
There were thistles of various shapes and sizes.  
I think the blue flower is gentian, but not sure about the pink. OK, I know, it would have helped if I'd photographed the leaves too.
We found an ibex horn, which was the closest we got to one all trip.
It was lovely to have a potter for a few hours in the clear air, by a crystal turquoise lake, in an alpine meadow surrounded by mountains.  We watched wild horses run past, with a little baby one running hard to catch up.  
We were very happy here.  And I realised I'd forgotten to do my 'pose' until now.  
We arrived back at camp just as the heavens opened.  The guys had set up their perfect picnic arrangement outside and we rushed it inside to eat under cover.  After lunch we headed down, JC taking numerous photos of the terrain (it's a work related thing).
Once back down to a mere 1800 m at Kochkor, we had time to wander into town and found a small coffee shop. 
The rest of the day was a bit of washing, and I successfully made underwear bunting to decorate our room.
Supper wasn’t great as we had lentil soup for starters (good) and then my main course was a plate of fried chips (certainly gluten free veggie...) which I gave to the guys. But I did have an egg for breakfast and a pile of buckwheat for lunch so I’m doing ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment